We are looking for a dedicated group of volunteers to help make the AOS & SCO-SOC 2021 Virtual Meeting a spectacular success! Volunteers must be 18 years or older, but students (undergraduate and graduate) and early professionals (within five years of terminal degree) will be given priority for assignments. Professionals more than five years out from their terminal degree are still encouraged to sign up, and we will contact you if positions need to be filled. We are asking volunteers to work at least 6 hours total (including any required training) in exchange for free registration to AOS & SCO-SOC 2021 (all volunteers) AND memberships to both AOS and SCO-SOC for one (1) year (early professionals) or two (2) years (students).
There are opportunities available to volunteer before and during the conference. Volunteers working during the conference will be able to arrange their schedule so that they should not have to miss any of the sessions or events they want to attend. Some, but not all, positions will require reliable internet access and tech support training will be provided. Below is a summary of the opportunities available for volunteers:
- Translating conference written communication material from English to Spanish, French, or Portuguese. Positions available starting in March! Reliable internet access is not necessary.
- Assembling the program and abstract booklets. Positions open in June and July to those with prior experience programming in R. Reliable internet access is not necessary.
- Providing tech support during the conference. Reliable internet access and conversational English are required. All training will be provided the week before the conference.
- Leading training sessions for Zoom webinars and meetings as tech support leaders
- Hosting Zoom webinar and meeting sessions
- Answering attendee tech support questions at a virtual chat ‘help desk’
- Helping speakers test talks in a Zoom ‘ready room’
This opportunity is open to all members of the ornithology community. You do not need to be a presenter at the conference to volunteer. In appreciation for the commitment of their time, all volunteers will be acknowledged formally as members of the AOS & SCO-SOC 2021 Virtual Meeting Volunteer Committee.
If you are interested in volunteering, please sign up here.
Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.